A child and family wellness plan
We've combined the science of prevention and the wisdom of Yukon people to create On the path together: Wellness Plan for Yukon's Children and Families.
The plan sets out three pathways for lifelong health and well-being:
Getting a good start in life with nurturing adults and safe, stimulating surroundings.
Raising kids who flourish by creating opportunities for children and young people to develop confidence, interests, and positive relationships.
Healthy living for all by making healthy choices easier and equipping all people with information, skills and opportunities to make good decisions.
The plan will guide our actions today and into the future to prevent illness and injury, and improve the health and well-being of children and adults.
Parents, family members, volunteers, community groups, governments, businesses, schools, faith communities and others are all working to improve the well-being of children, youth and families.
The Wellness Plan is a road map that everyone can use to plan present and future actions. We encourage you to find out more about the three pathways for child and family well-being and chart your way forward on the path.
|Wellness Plan at a glance|
|Drawing of Wellness Plan|
There are many reasons why we have focussed on children and families:
- A healthy start in life provides the basis for lifelong healthy, productive living. Investing in children and families saves money in the long run and has a positive impact on health, wealth and public safety.
- This focus recognizes the primary role and responsibility of families in raising healthy, happy children.
- Habits and preferences start early in life, and we can influence health behaviours and decision making in the places where children live, learn and play.
- Bullying, marijuana use, emotional problems, school belongingness, and healthy eating are significant concerns among school-aged children, particularly in rural Yukon.
- We are now seeing chronic conditions that previously only affected adults (such as Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure) in young people.
- Children are the workforce and leaders of tomorrow. Yukon needs healthy, active workers and leaders to fill future jobs, and create economic prosperity.
As you explore this website, you will see that information on child and family wellness has been woven throughout the wellness topics.
You don’t have to be a parent in order to have a positive impact on the lives of children. In fact, every child needs at least one but preferably three to five caring adults in their lives in order for them to thrive. Be a special person in the life of a child or youth and help us create a better future for Yukon’s children and families.